First Alternative exists to provide cooperative commerce for the greater good of our community, which includes:
- Owners and Shoppers
- Local farmers and producers
- Community members
- Community organizations
- Other co-ops
Because of First Alternative:
- The community will have a retail source of food that is affordable, healthy, and grown and/or processed locally to the fullest extent possible.
- There will be economic value returned to the community via charitable contributions, outreach projects, owner benefits, and other investments in the local economy.
- Our community will be better educated about food, environment, and sustainability issues and as a result make healthier life choices.
- There will be a vibrant cooperative sector in the economy, both nationally and regionally, and a local community educated in the value of cooperative principles and enterprises.
- There will be a more vibrant local agricultural community and that community will in turn have a more reliable retail market for its products.
- There will be an important source of employment in the community that provides personal satisfaction to employees, livable wages and financial security for employees.
- There will be a thriving business that is a model for sustainable, ethical business practices and environmental stewardship.
- Owners will have a sense of connectedness via our programs, facilities, and opportunities to participate.