First Alternative is controlled by you, the Owner. First Alternative Owners are consumers who give input and make decisions about the store, its philosophy, products, and services. One way you can influence decision-making is to elect Board candidates who support your ideas.
Download the Board Application Packet Here PDF
The Board Recruitment and Election Committee (BREC) endorses, as nominees, interested Owners who have the experience and skills needed to guide our $16 million local business.
The First Alternative Board of Directors is responsible for directing the Co-op’s affairs.
As representatives of the Owners, the Board:
1) establishes overall policies and objectives
2) sets financial goals and approves major financial transactions
3) selects the General Manager and evaluates his/her performance
4) reviews and approves budgets
5) guides the long-term vision of the Co-op through its Ends statements.