The filling is amazing! (Your Grandma’s got some competition!)
Gluten Free Cherry Pie Recipe
This pie crust is one of the best I have made since beginning to bake gluten free. It almost rivaled my Grandma's! And the filling is amazing. - Emily Stimac
Write a review
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 2 Tbsp organic sugar
- ice water
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 4 cups dark cherries, pitted
- 4 Tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
- Gently combine all ingredients.
- Place one cup of water in the freezer to chill.
- Mix flours, salt and sugar.
- Add shortening and butter in tsp chunks and place in refrigerator while you make pie filling.
- When filling is done, finish crust by cutting the shortening and butter into the dry ingredients until you have pea-sized bits.
- Sprinkle with ice water, 1 Tbsp at a time, mixing gently after each one.
- When a dough forms divide into two balls and knead very briefly.
- Flour your surface well and roll out.
- Use a spatula to transfer bottom shell to 9″ pan.
- Add filling, 2 Tbsp butter & top crust.
- Seal edges and bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until juices bubble dark and thick.
- Place a foil-lined cookie sheet under the pie to catch any overflowing juices.
- Optional: brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar for a crusty finish.
First Alternative Co-op https://firstalt.coop/