Grilled yams add caramelly highlights to a boldly-dressed bed of kale.
1/2 lb. garnet yams, small
3 cups water
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 bunch Red Russian kale, stemmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Place whole yams in water, bring to boil, cook until fork-tender.
2. Drain, rinse in cold water, and let cool.
3. Peel yams and slice crosswise into 1″ rounds.
4. Mix 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and red pepper flakes; toss with yams.
5. Grill yams 12-15 minutes over medium heat, turning once. Remove from grill and cool.
6. In a large bowl, mix dressing ingredients.
7. Add kale to bowl and toss to coat.
8. Top with cooled yams and grated cheese.