A zesty citrus alternative to your standard salsa. Delicious with fajita chicken and/or veggies.
2 large Melogold grapefruit
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, minced, seeds & veins removed
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp sugar
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Peel grapefruit, removing most of the white pith as you go.
2. Slice fruit in half horizontally, halfway between the stem and blossom end.
3. Lay the fruit on a cutting board with the middle of the fruit facing down. Following the curve of the fruit, cut away the outer membranes, using a small sharp knife.
4. Working over a ceramic mixing bowl, cut each segment from the surrounding membranes. Squeeze extra juice from membranes into same bowl.
5. Add remaining ingredients, stir, and serve.