Bursting with citrusy sweetness, this delicious treat is great with ice cream, cookies, scones, or just spread it on your toast!
1 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
1 cup Meyer lemon juice (4-5 lemons)
1 ½ cups white sugar
1 ½ sticks butter
½ tsp salt
1. Zest, then juice lemons, and set aside.
2. Beat eggs and set aside.
3. Heat water in the bottom of a double boiler to a low boil.
4. Melt butter in top of double boiler.
5. Add sugar, zest, juice, and salt to butter, and stir.
6. Slowly add eggs, whisking constantly.
7. Continue whisking mixture constantly until it thickens slightly, about 20 minutes; it will thicken further as it cools.
8. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Ladle into bowls or jars.
9. Cool, cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
10. May be canned and processed in a hot water bath and stored up to 1 year.