Roast a turkey to moist and flavorful perfection with these simple instructions.
1 whole fresh turkey
1. Place oven rack in the lowest position and preheat the oven to 325F.
2. Stuff turkey with chilled stuffing just before you place it in the oven.
3. Set turkey, breast down, on a rack in roasting pan. Brush with olive oil.
4. Cover loosely with lid or tent with foil so the juices run back down into the pan.
5. Roast for one hour.
6. Turn the turkey over, basting every 45-60 minutes with olive oil.
7. Remove cover for last 45 minutes of roasting to brown skin.
8. Cook until breast and inside of thigh temperatures register at least 165-170F and the juices run clear.
9. Begin checking turkey with meat thermometer 45-60 minutes before recommended cooking time.
10. Allow to rest 15 minutes before carving.