Tender chicken infused with lemon, thyme, and garlic along with roasted carrots and fennel.
5-6 lb whole chicken
Salt & pepper
2 bunches fresh thyme
1 lemon, halved
1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 yellow onion, thickly sliced
4 carrots, cut into 2″ chunks
1 bulb fennel, tops removed, cut into wedges
1 Tsbp. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Remove giblets, rinse chicken inside and out.
3. Generously salt & pepper inside the chicken.
4. Stuff the cavity with 1 bunch thyme, both lemon halves and all the garlic.
5. Brush the outside of the chicken with melted butter and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
6. Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan.
7. Toss with salt, pepper, remaining bunch of thyme and olive oil.
8. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place chicken on top.
9. Roast, covered, for 1 hour.
10. Uncover and roast 30 minutes or more until juices run clear and skin is golden brown.
11. Remove chicken and vegetables to a platter, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
12. Carve chicken; serve with vegetables.